Recruitment for Leadership Development Committee Begins After Successful Bylaws Vote
Thank you to all who voted for the recent IDSA governance changes and expressed their passion for increasing inclusion, diversity, access and equity in the Society’s governance. The successful vote has allowed for the creation of a Leadership Development Committee and for the change in name of the Finance Committee to the Investment Committee.
Establishing a Leadership Development Committee will help to ensure a successful future for the Society by better engaging future members. This new committee will identify gaps in leadership within the Society and help us recruit volunteers with unique experiences and skill sets. Working in tandem with our newly established Inclusion, Diversity, Access and Equity Task Force, it will also help us tap into a new pool of potential leaders and volunteers with diverse competencies and backgrounds.
The Call for Volunteers for the Leadership Development Committee opened on Jan. 8 and will run through Jan. 29. Interested members are encouraged to apply. Details on the committee’s function and composition follow, along with information about the characteristics of the ideal candidates.
The purpose of the committee is to identify and cultivate leaders to advance the Society’s strategic priorities.
- Ensure the Society’s governance structure is reflective of the overall membership
- Develop and maintain a governance competency model
- Develop and administer the process of identifying and recruiting qualified candidates to serve as volunteer leaders
- Ensure transparency in the nominations process
- Ensure alignment with the Society’s principles of inclusion, diversity, access and equity
- Propose a slate of qualified candidates for the Board of Directors
- Organize and participate in new Board member and committee chair orientations
- Propose committee chairs for Board approval (beginning 2020)
- Propose committee members for Board approval (beginning 2021)
- Leadership experience in an IDSA volunteer capacity
- Leadership experience in a practice or work setting and/or in a non-IDSA volunteer capacity (for example, other professional society or State & Regional ID Society)
- Working knowledge of inclusion, diversity, access and equity principles
- Interest and experience in developing leaders
- 4-5 conference calls/year
- 1-2 in-person meetings/year
Size, Composition & Term:
- Up to 15 members, selected with a broad perspective on diversity reflective of the Society membership
- Chair and vice chair serve two-year terms. Members serve three-year terms (with staggered terms initially)
If you have demonstrated interest and experience in developing leaders and an understanding of inclusion, diversity, access and equity principles, you are encouraged to apply. It is critically important that our community of volunteers represent the full diversity of IDSA and HIVMA.
Note: Leadership Development Committee members are ineligible to serve in an IDSA leadership role (Committee Chair, Board Officer or Director) for a period of two years after they leave the committee.
Please complete the volunteer application by Jan. 29. Applicants may be contacted for additional information. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the application process.